photo MM-520x100-DigiScrap-Blue_zps81fb6a0c.jpg
Use my code (STMMMS2601) to receive $10 off your order!
Photobucket

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fun, But Not Scrapping Related

I've been wanting to share this with you for a while now but I keep forgetting. I hope you enjoy it!

You may or may not realize this, but my extended family has owned a greenhouse for quite some time. It was around when I was born (53 yrs. ago) and was started by my great-grandfather. You can read about it here if you are so inclined -- be sure to read the history page. Anyway, my aunt loves gardening and started a children's garden at Pinebrook Bible Conference in memory of her sister who was killed in a car accident 7 yrs. ago. You can check out the children's garden here -- you will be glad that you visited this site. The pics are gorgeous!!

One of the plants that she put in the children's garden is called Evening Primrose or Night Blooming Primrose. Most people think of it as a weed, but it is the most interesting plant that I have ever seen. Why? I'm glad that you asked. It's interesting because you can actually stand and watch the flowers bloom each night. If you blink, you can actually miss them opening. They usually bloom at twilight.

My aunt gave us a small plant last year and my son, the gardener, planted it for us. It has bloomed almost every night since late in June. I decided that I wanted to film one for you and that's what you will find below. Remember, I did not speed up this video -- this is actually in real time as you will be able to tell by my lame comments! Watch carefully because they will be open before you even realize it! I apologize for the watermark in the center of the video. I used a free program to edit the original since it was too large to upload. Even with the watermark there, you can watch the flowers open. All of the flowers that you see on the plant, were ones that I was able to watch. Fun!



I may be biased, but I think that the plants that we get from the family greenhouse are the best that you will find anywhere. All of the layouts that I have done of our backyard gardens have had plants from the greenhouse. If you are ever in the Hatfield, PA area, be sure to look them up and tell them that I said you should stop by! I'm sure that they would be more than happy to take you on a tour! If you ask for Nell Ruch (rhymes with book) and she's around, she would love to take you on that tour. Christmas is always a fun time to visit with all the poinsettias that they have but then so is fall with the chrysanthemums and other fall plants.

Blessings,

burgundy signature (Small) (Small)

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin